Lincoln County was formed 1796 from Wilkes County and in its faraway Court House at Lincolnton, are to be found many items concerning the early settlers of Wilkes. In the old brick Court House the records are better preserved than in many of the up-to-date-fire-proof buidlings, where they are handled oftener and with less care. About half a dozen of the oldest books are kept in a safe while the others are on shelves in the office. The deeds are intact from 1796 to 1812, then two books "G" and "J" are missing. All are recorded in a Duplex Index.
The old wills are in three books, from 1796 to 1869, each having a separate index and the writing is very good.
The first of marriage books, 1806 to 1829, is alphabetical as to names of the men, and later ones are indexed.
|INDEX TO FIRST BOOK OF WILLS AND ESTATES 1796 to 1805.|
Jones, Henry W.
Mitchell, John D.
Walton, Thomas, Sr.
SOURCE: Historical collections of the Georgia chapters, Daughters of the American Revolution; Publisher: C.P. Byrd, state printer, 1926. (A book in the Public Domain)